Fri. Nov 18th, 2022

Myanmar’s ousted leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has been remanded in custody for two more days, her lawyer has told media, as protesters begin gathering again to demand her release and an end to military rule.
Key points:

  • Hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets across the country for 10 days
  • The military is facing a strike by government workers, part of a civil disobedience movement
  • They have been carrying out nightly arrests and appointed sweeping powers to detain people

Security forces in Myanmar deployed armoured vehicles in major cities two weeks after the military overthrew Ms Suu Kyi’s government and detained her on charges of illegally importing six walkie-talkie radios.
Her detention was due to expire on Monday (local time) but her lawyer, Khin Maung Zaw, told media a judge at a court in the capital, Naypyitaw, had said she will be remanded until February 17.
“Whether it is fair or not, you can decide yourself,” Mr Maung Zaw said.
A member of the lawyer’s team said the judge had spoken to Ms Suu Kyi via video conferencing and she had asked if she could hire a lawyer.
The February 1 coup and the arrest of Ms Suu Kyi and others have sparked the biggest protests in Myanmar in more than a decade.
Myanmar’s internet blackout
When they came for Myanmar’s leaders, they cut off the internet. But plunging the country into cyber darkness has precedent in Myanmar and it comes straight out of the authoritarian playbook.
Read more
Hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets across the country for 10 days to denounce the coup, which derailed the South-East Asian country’s tentative transition to democracy, and to call for Ms Suu Kyi’s release.
The unrest has revived memories of bloody outbreaks of opposition to almost half a century of direct army rule, which ended when the military began a process of withdrawing from civilian politics in 2011.
On Sunday, police opened fire to disperse protesters at a power plant in northern Myanmar, although it was unclear if they were using rubber bullets or live rounds and there was no word on casualties.
‘These are signs of desperation’
Armoured vehicles seen in Yangon streets as protests continue in Myanmar
The army has been carrying out nightly arrests and has given itself sweeping powers to detain people and search private property.
On Sunday, it published penal code amendments aimed at stifling dissent.
“It’s as if the generals have declared war on the people,” UN Special Rapporteur Tom Andrews said on Twitter.
“Late night raids; mounting arrests; more rights stripped away; another internet shutdown; military convoys entering communities. These are signs of desperation. Attention generals: You WILL be held accountable.”
Western countries from the European Union, Britain, Canada and 11 other nations issued a statement late on Sunday calling on security forces to “refrain from violence against demonstrators and civilians, who are protesting the overthrow of their legitimate government”.
From winning a landslide election to being detained
How Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi went from a commanding victory to being arrested by her country’s military in just two months.
Read more
The amendments to the penal code set out a 20-year prison term for inciting hatred of the Government or military, or hindering the security forces engaged in preserving state stability.
Hindering the security forces carrying out their duties is punishable by seven years in prison while spreading fear, fake news or agitating against government employees gets three years, according to the amendments posted on a military website.
In the latest sign of disruption by workers, the Department of Civil Aviation said in a statement many staff had stopped coming to work since February 8, causing flight delays.
Some trains have also stopped running, media reported.
Government worker strike
As well as the demonstrations around the country, the military has faced a strike by government workers as part of a civil disobedience movement that has crippled many functions of the state.
More than a dozen police trucks with four water cannon vehicles were deployed near the Sule Pagoda in central Yangon, which has been one of the main demonstration sites in the commercial capital, as groups of protesters began gathering peacefully outside the central bank and the Chinese embassy.
Burmese community in Australia in shock after military coup
Members of Australia’s Burmese community have been left in a state of shock and disbelief after the military detained Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
Read more
At the bank, several hundred protesters held up signs calling for colleagues to join the CDM the civil disobedience movement and stating their refusal to accept the coup.
Domestic media showed protesters gathering in the capital, Naypyitaw, many carrying pictures of Ms Suu Kyi with the message: “We want our leader”.
Shortly after midnight, residents reported an internet outage until about 9:00 am (local time), when connections were restored.
In the early days after the coup, the internet was cut across the country.
The junta has ordered civil servants back to work, threatening action.
At least 400 people have been detained since the coup, the monitoring group Assistance Association for Political Prisoners said.
Ms Suu Kyi’s party won a 2015 election and another on November 8, but the military said the vote was marred by fraud and used that complaint to justify their coup.
The electoral commission dismissed accusations of fraud.