Consoles: They’re new, they’re shiny, they’ll be here next week. Sony’s PlayStation 5 and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X launch a couple days apart, and together, they’re expected to usher in a new era of gaming. But which features actually matter? Is support for 8K resolution even something you’ll be able to use? Which console makes the most sense to buy? And is cloud gaming ever going to make consoles obsolete?
This week on Gadget Lab, we talk with WIRED service editor Alan Henry about the ins and outs of the new systems, and what the future of gaming will look like.
Read more about the Playstation 5 here, and the Xbox Series X here. Read more about cloud gaming here. Read more about the politics of Call of Dutyhere. Follow all of WIREDs video game coverage here. Follow Wiredmag on Twitch.
Alan recommends the game Genshin Impact. Lauren recommends the show The Queens Gambit on Netflix. Mike recommends Soulboxer cocktails in a bottle, specifically the brandy old-fashioned.
Alan Henry is @halophoenix on Twitter. Lauren Goode is @LaurenGoode. Michael Calore is @snackfight. Bling the main hotline at @GadgetLab. The show is produced by Boone Ashworth (@booneashworth). Our theme music is by Solar Keys.
If you have feedback about the show, or just want to enter to win a $50 gift card, take our brief listener survey here.
You can always listen to this week’s podcast through the audio player on this page, but if you want to subscribe for free to get every episode, here’s how:
If you’re on an iPhone or iPad, open the app called Podcasts, or just tap this link. You can also download an app like Overcast or Pocket Casts, and search for Gadget Lab. If you use Android, you can find us in the Google Play Music app just by tapping here. Were on Spotify too. And in case you really need it, here’s the RSS feed.
- Want the latest on tech, science, and more? Sign up for our newsletters!
- How to escape a sinking ship (like, say, the Titanic)
- What to wear when youre battling giant, venomous hornets
- The hair-raising, record-setting race to 331 mph
- Do everything faster with these keyboard tricks
- The science that spans #MeToo, memes, and Covid-19
- WIRED Games: Get the latest tips, reviews, and more
- Upgrade your work game with our Gear teams favorite laptops, keyboards, typing alternatives, and noise-canceling headphones